Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the gun is to be used.
The Sheriff and his staff are required to follow strict state guidelines when performing the necessary background checks for Concealed Handgun Permits. Due to the nature of the detailed due diligence, appointment times and processing times can take multiple weeks. During the application process, you will be asked to schedule an appointment (for New Concealed Handgun Permits and Renewal Concealed Handgun Permits). Please note that you will be able to Pay online with a debit or credit card OR you can choose to pay in office at the time of your appointment.
In accordance with NCGS 14-415.13(a), Concealed Handgun Permits MUST be obtained from the Sheriff of your county of RESIDENCE.
If you are RENEWING a Concealed Handgun Permit, you MUST apply PRIOR to your expiration date, but no more than 90 days prior to the expiration date. PLEASE notify the staff if your address is currently different than what is displayed on your expiring permit. Failure to do so may cause a delay in receiving your new permit.
If your permit has EXPIRED, but it has been LESS than 60 days since the permit expired, you will be required to apply as a NEW APPLICANT, be fingerprinted, and pay the $90.00 fee, but you will not be required to submit a new training certificate.
If more than 60 days has passed since your permit EXPIRED, you must retake the CONCEALED HANDGUN TRAINING COURSE, apply as a NEW APPLICANT, and submit the NEW TRAINING CERTIFICATE with the application.
- A New Concealed Handgun Permit costs $90.00, which includes the $10.00 fingerprinting fee.
- A Renewal Concealed Handgun Permit costs $75.00
- Following the application process online, you will need to schedule an appointment when you submit your application, to come in and sign your application packet and to be fingerprinted (New and Expired applications only). Our appointment times are:
- New Concealed Carry applications: Monday 8:30 am - 6:30 pm and Wednesday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm - closed for lunch from 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
- Renewal Concealed Carry applications: Monday 8:30 am - 6:30 pm; Tuesday - Thursday - 8:30 am - 4:30 pm; Sat - 9:00 am to 4:00 pm; closed all weekdays from 11:30 am - 1 pm for lunch.
- Click on the NEW or RENEW application link to start the application.
Office hours are:
- Monday: 8.30am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday - Friday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Every other Saturday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Gaining competency with firearms is like learning to drive a car or fly an airplane. You need expert instruction and practice. There is no shortcut. If you are not willing to invest the time and effort to become competent, then having a firearm and trying to use it can, in many instances, be more hazardous than any impending threat.
Concealed Handgun Permit Information